Ten students will travel to the island of Bonaire during Winter Break to serve Trans World Radio (TWR), a multinational Christian radio station. Led by Dr. Chad Sherman, assistant professor of communication, and Melinda Roeder Skrbin, instructor of communication, students will serve from Saturday, Jan. 5, to Saturday, Jan. 12.
Many of the students attending the trip are communication majors. They will use their skills to edit radio content and record liners and Biblical lessons to be aired throughout the day, as well as help with various design and public relations tasks. Students will also assist with painting and basic maintenance for the radio station.
“I look forward each year to introducing a new group of students to the amazing power of service and the greatness of TWR,” said Sherman. “I want them to become a lifelong servant that seeks to make positive change in the world.”
Students attending the trip include:
- Emily Bennett, senior sports broadcasting/sports information major from New Tripoli, Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania Home Schoolers)
- Megan Cook, senior electronic media major from McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania (Montour High School)
- Kristina Fisher, senior nursing major from Bridgeville, Pennsylvania (South Fayette High School)
- Sierra Medina, freshman journalism major from Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania (Selinsgrove Area High School)
- Bethany Mercer, freshman electronic media major from New Cumberland, West Virginia (Oak Glen High School)
- Stephanie Rogers, senior Biblical ministry studies major from Toms River, New Jersey (Toms River High School North)
- Brandon Rossi, senior sports broadcasting/sports information major from Oakdale, Pennsylvania (West Allegheny Senior High School)
- Joseph Smeltzer, junior journalism major from Coraopolis, Pennsylvania (West Allegheny Senior High School)
- Lindsey Stenger, sophomore electronic media major from Chambersburg, Pennsylvania (Shalom Christian Academy)
- Paul Zalakar, junior electronic media major from Glenshaw, Pennsylvania (Shaler Area High School)
Faith, Learning and Service Immersion Trips
To learn more about service trips, contact Kelley Hardie, assistant dean of students, at 724-852-3461 or email@example.com.