DNP ADMISSIONS REQUIREMENTS
- MSN or graduate degree in another discipline
- Applicants with a graduate degree in a discipline other than nursing will be individually evaluated, and additional courses at the master’s level will be required to meet the AACN Essentials of Master's Education as well as the essential competencies for a DNP program graduate.
- Professional nurses with a doctoral degree other than a DNP who are interested in systems leadership are encouraged to apply.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Official transcripts from all post-high school educational experiences
- To print a request for transcript form, click here
- Advanced Practice Nurses (Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Nurse Anesthetists, Nurse Midwives) must present evidence of: completion of graduate courses titled Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, and Advanced Physical Assessment as well as completion of national certification or 500 hours of clinical practice during MSN Advanced Practice Nursing program.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Narrative statement of applicant’s goals for change leadership
- Portfolio (not more than 25 pages) reflecting evidence of professional career achievement/scholarship
- Personal Interview (scheduled if all other criteria have been met)
Students whose native language is not English must also submit an official report of TOEFL scores or other proof of competency in English.
Waynesburg University admits students without regard to race, color, sex, disability, religion, national origin, ancestry or ethnicity. It is the policy of Waynesburg University not to discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs, admissions policies, activities or employment.
For more information, contact the Southpointe Center (724) 743-4420 or 1-888-481-6019
Helpful Tips Regarding the DNP Application Process
Obtain and submit an official transcript from EACH of the schools you attended post-high school. If any transcript from a school shows transferred credits you have earned elsewhere (such as your BSN or MSN transcript reflecting credits accepted from another program), we are required to hold an official transcript from each school. Even if you only took 1 or 2 courses at a school and didn’t complete a degree there, we still need an official transcript from each school. If we see credits from another school noted on any of your transcripts or on your application form, we’ll ask you for an official transcript from that institution. This is a requirement to maintain the Waynesburg University accreditation with Middle States Accreditation Association. It also increases the full understanding we gain of your strengths as an applicant.
Letters of Recommendation
There are two letter of recommendation forms included in the application packet. Write your name on the form, and indicate whether you waive your right to see the written recommendation when it has been completed (see recommendation form). Ask two professional colleagues to complete a recommendation. We prefer to receive the form in a sealed envelope directly from the person who has written the recommendation. Provide the recommender with a stamped, pre-addressed envelope so he/she is able to mail the completed recommendation to us, using the address on the bottom of the form.
Narrative Statement of Goals for Change Leadership
Include with your application materials a brief (several paragraphs to 2-3 pages) statement about your commitment to leadership of changes that will improve the delivery of quality healthcare. Indicate a particular area of change that you believe is essential that will result from your completion of a practice-focused doctoral program. Use this essay as an opportunity to communicate to the admission committee your goals as a nurse executive for changing healthcare and/or the education process. The admission committee will evaluate your essay from the perspective of your writing skills and the specificity of your vision for change.
The admission committee wishes to see examples of your ability to think critically, write effectively, and complete scholarly activities. Assemble your examples in plastic protective sleeves and insert them into a 3-ring binder. Do not send more than 25 pages in total. Examples could include such things as articles published, letters to an editor, handouts developed for a presentation, papers written for graduate school courses, business or education products developed at work or for your specialty nursing organization. Choose examples that showcase your academic and leadership abilities.
Doctoral students are eligible for federal loans through the Stafford Loan process. You must be enrolled for 5 or more credits/semester to qualify for a federal loan. There will be a 3-credit residency available for students who want financial aid, for those semesters when the usual degree plan specifies only 3 credits. Further financial aid information and assistance will be provided by the University Office of Financial Aid (see the University website www.waynesburg.edu).
For more information or assistance with application questions, call 1-888-481-6029.